Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sharing Is Happiness....Wedding Is...?

One bride's best friend may be on the other side of the world, but that doesn't stop her fabulous groom from arranging the best wedding surprise...By Izzati Hairi

I took a months to plan my wedding. Months of deciding to wear songket or modern dress. Month of debating whether to choose orchids or roses for pelamin? Cup cakes or icing? English Style or Indonesian Hard Cover wedding card? And i loved every minute of it.

The only cloud on my pink fluffy horizon was the fact that my dearest friend, Intan wouldn't be there to share it all.

But i could hardly hold it against her. UK had worked out so well for her. Intan's email described glorious sunsets, fabulous seafood and a handsome new man. I was so thrilled for her.

Missing You Already.....
I missed her like mad, of course. All that shopping hadn't been quite so much fun without my best friend. As Iman and i had chosen 'special bahulu' in crystal box for gift list, i couldn't help wishing that Intan had been a part of it.


I could just imagine her eyes crinkling with laughter. She was always joking around. At first i'd thought he RSVP to my tasteful glitter-dotted invitation was her being funny.

It finally sank in when i read the message sent with our wedding gift; a soft cashmere throw for me and a funky finnish cooking pot for Iman..."Heartbroken not to be with you on your big day. But, very glad not to be forced into kebaya..."

We'd always joked about making each other wear the kebaya outfit...

"She's really not coming...." I told Iman.

"She is starting a business from scratch..." Iman pointed out.

The Big Surprise....
The big day dawned. I got ready, wishing i had Intan to do up my buttons instead of Mum who was flapping because the photographer was late...

As my car arrived, i checked my phone one last time. It was probably midnight in London, but Intan would be bound to send me a good luck text. She knew how nervous i was.

On the way to masjid for our akad nikah ceremony, i felt sick. What if Iman didn't turn up? What if...? Where are you Intan?....and we were there. As i arrived, suddenly a figure in a very bright pink nyonya lace kebaya forward to open my door.

"Madam, doesn't look very happy."

I'd know that voice anywhere.

"Perhaps Madam is missing her lady in waiting?"

I gaped.

"Intan! I thought you weren't coming!" Tear drop burst...

"So did i. Iman saved the day. He sent me a ticket and said you'd be miserable otherwise. I take it. I am still your lady in waiting. Hope you approve my kebaya....macam 'sarung nangka tak'?"

Happiness washed over me.

Note: This story was kept so long .... just for kadkahwinku.com fan.....enjoy reading & sharing!

1 comment:

KADKAHWINKU DOT COM said...

Just sharing a story that will keep forever...i miss you... my dearest friend, Intan.